Home » Legal Services
BCLS is an independent Community Legal Service that is funded by the State and Federal Governments to provide free legal information, advice and casework to members of our local community.
Who can we help
BCLS offers services to people who live, work, and study in our region.
How can we help
BCLS is a free legal service that provides information, referral, advice and casework.
When can we help
BCLS offers a mix of drop in and scheduled face to face and phone advice appointments. Clients are welcome to phone or drop in between 9:30am – 11:30am on a Monday to consult one of our experienced lawyers or alternatively, phone 1300 430 599 to make a scheduled appointment or email.
BCLS has a team of skilled lawyers and can provide advice across many areas of the law including:
- General Law – We provide assistance with a range of general legal matters including motor vehicle accidents, traffic offences, debt and credit issues, neighborhood disputes and Wills and Powers of Attorney.
- Social Security – We provide advice and assistance with appealing Centrelink decisions, pension and benefit claims, Centrelink debts, making complaints and other social security matters. This service is completely independent of Centrelink.
- Family Law – We can provide assistance with a range of family law matters including divorce, parenting issues and child support.
- Child Support – Clients who pay or receive child support or maintenance (or are eligible to do so), can access information, advice and assistance. We can help explain the scheme and assist with proof of parentage, debts and arrears, stays of assessment, income estimates and court-based maintenance issues.
- Elder Law – Senior members of our community are often faced with unique legal situations. We offer assistance in matters such as guardianship, administration, wills, elder abuse, accommodation and consumer banking issues.
- Family Violence Intervention Orders – We attend Geelong and Colac courts on a duty roster basis and our lawyers are available to provide legal advice, court representation and related assistance to applicants in family Violence Intervention Order matters.
- Criminal Matters – If you have been charged with a criminal offence, we can provide initial advice and assistance.
BCLS is unable to give advice on some areas of law. We can recommend other services that are able to give assistance with these areas of law which can be found in the resources section.
- Bankruptcy Law
- Commercial Law
- Employment Law
- Property Law